Monday, September 18, 2017

BELIEVE IN THE ONE THAT CONQUERED ALL

It’s been another busy week. The weeks are flying buy! It’s pretty crazy. Time just doesn’t even exist out here.  

Last week we went on an alpine slide for p-day, which was super fun. We had a good time and we were able to look around and see some super pretty stuff. 

Then that night we started tracting in a place I never had been and found a sign that said Vintage house. And I was like well we have to go tract that one. So we go knock on this house that is really nice and no one answers. So I look around and on the door there is a paper that says call this number to talk to someone... So what did I do? I called it. This lady answered and I was like well I am a Mormon missionary and me and my friend are going from house to house talking to people about religion and we wanted to know what this house is. So she explained that you can rent the house out and it is like a vacation home... So I then started talking to her about who I was and if she had heard of the Mormons and I ended up asking if I could send her number to the missionaries in her town so that they could call her and talk more and she said yes!! I was like ... uh this isn’t real life. So I passed it on and that was that. Sometimes calling random numbers is a good thing :)

The next day we went on splits in Debrecen and I was able to work with another missionary which is always super fun but weird at the same time because they treat me like I’m some old geezer that is all wise and like I know the answers to everything but I am actually still growing and learning to. So it’s a good time to work with young missionaries. We went to the city center and set up a white board and asked people what makes them happy and had some really great conversations. I was able to help him crack his shell and start talking to people using the couple words he new! He is actually from England so his accent is super thick and it was pretty hard for him but still went well. Later that night we got a ‘let in’ and it was his first one!! It was a really cool couple and hopefully something will come out of it. In the morning he made us a British Breakfast, which was super good. 

Later that week we went to a family night put on by the senior couple here and we translated for them and it was a really cool experience. We talked about the Book of Mormon and how it has blessed us and one of the members shared her story and it was really powerful to hear how much the Gospel had blessed her life. No matter where you are the Gospel can still reach you and that’s the best part about it. It’s true, it doesn’t matter who you are or where you came from or where you are going. 

We also had some crazy people talk to us this week. One dude made us hold his hand and he said a prayer and did some like weird which craft in front of us and then told me I was faithless... I was like uhhhh what, I am the one talking to you about God. I think he might have drank a little but we gave him a card and went on our way. 

We went on another split this week with some other elders from NYiregyháza where I started my mission and one of them is from Lone peak! We had a good talk and it was fun to catch up on how things are. 

We had a miracle happen this week while we were tracting. We knew we had a lot of people to call to set up with so we sat down and started calling people and Elder Durney called a kid that wanted to meet and he was actually able to set up right then and there and we met with him an hour later. We taught him and his girlfriend and it was really powerful. They are both orphans and have been left by there families and still believe in God. They are really cool and could be some really great investigators. So I will keep you updated on that.

I was standing on the street this week talking to a woman and it hit me. I realized that I am so small and that if I zoom out and look at what I am doing; Gods work is so much bigger than me and how amazing it really is. I was on a street in the middle of Hungary. A totally different land than my own, I was speaking in Hungarian.... uh What??? Who even speaks that language and what even is that? Two years ago I couldn’t even say hello. On top of that I was talking about the most important thing in the world. The Gospel of Jesus Christ. The one thing that can change people. The one thing that makes families be together forever. The one thing that over comes death. I was teaching someone that. That’s when I realized that this feeling right here is the reason I love being a missionary. It’s hard. It’s been long, but it is all worth it and for the next couple weeks I get to do that everyday. I have to make it count, because this is when it really matters. There is a quote by Muhammad Ali that I really like it. He was once asked how many sit ups he does and he said, "I don’t count my sit ups, I only start counting when it starts to hurt, because that’s when it really counts." When we are in pain, when life has us at the end of our rope and we think we can’t go any further, that is when we grow the most. The only way we can do that is through Jesus Christ. Let Us believe in the One that Conquered all.


Elder Ure






No comments:

Post a Comment